To increase awareness of women’s ongoing contributions to the mathematical sciences, the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM) and Math for America are co-sponsoring an essay contest. This contest is open to students in the following categories: Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, and College Undergraduate. The candidates must submit an essay based primarily on an interview with a woman currently working in a mathematical career. Winners will receive a prize, and their essays will be published online at the AWM website.
The purpose of the Association for Women in Mathematics is to encourage women and girls to study and to have active careers in the mathematical sciences and to promote equal opportunity and the equal treatment of women and girls in the mathematical sciences.
The contest is open to students Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, and College Undergraduates.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates can submit their on-line application form through the given link:
A valid submission will contain the following information:
- A biographical essay, based primarily on an interview, of approximately 500-1000 words in length, on a woman currently working in a mathematical career.
- A short (approximately 100 words) biographical sketch of the student contestant. This biographical sketch should include the student’s name, grade level, school, and mathematical interests.
- Information about the student
- Student’s name
- Address of student (or parent)
- Phone number or email address of student (or parent)
- Information about the subject of the biography:
- Phone number and/or email address
Financial Aid and Award Money:
- There is one First Place Winner in each category (Middle School, High School, and Undergraduate) and a Grand Prize Winner chosen from among those three First Place Winners. There are also typically 0-3 Honorable Mentions in each category.
- The winners (including honorable mentions) receive a monetary prize, a membership in the Association of Women in Mathematics, a certificate, and their name and affiliation published in the Newsletter for the AWM. In addition, all of the essays are published online and the Grand Prize winner‘s essay is published in the newsletter.
Application deadline is January 31, 2017.
Link for More Information:
If you have any problems submitting your essay, contact Dr. Heather A. Lewis (contest organizer) by email (hlewis5-at-naz.edu)
ABOUT THE CONTEST
To increase awareness of women's ongoing contributions to the mathematical sciences, the Association for Women in Mathematics (AWM) and Math for America are co-sponsoring an essay contest for biographies of contemporary women mathematicians and statisticians in academic, industrial, and government careers.
The essays will be based primarily on an interview with a woman currently working in a mathematical sciences career. This contest is open to students in the following categories: Grades 6-8, Grades 9-12, and College Undergraduate. At least one winning submission will be chosen from each category. Winners will receive a prize, and their essays will be published online at the AWM web site. Additionally, a grand prize winner will have his or her submission published in the AWM Newsletter.
SEEKING VOLUNTEERS TO BE INTERVIEWED
We are currently seeking women mathematicians to volunteer as the subjects of these essays. For more information or to sign up as a volunteer, contact Dr. Heather Lewis, the contest organizer, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.